It took 58 years to complete this magnificent Baroque palace. Built for the Pesaro family, it was the masterpiece of Baldassare Longhena, who worked on it until his death in 1682. Antonio Gaspar then took over Longhena’s design, eventually completing the structure in 1710.
In the 20th century, the Duchess Bevilacqua of La Masa bequeathed the palace to the city to exhibit the works of young and new Venetian artists. The building was instead used by the municipality to host the Galleria d’Arte Moderna, which was founded in 1897, and the Oriental Collection donated to the city by the Prince of Borbone.
Today, Ca’ Pesaro features a permanent exhibition of work by artists including Bonnard, Matisse, Miro, Klee, Klimt and Kandinsky, in addition to works by Italian artists of the 19th and 20th centuries.