The Malibran theatre, built in 1677, is the largest, most magnificent, and richest theatre in Venice. It is located behind the church of the San Giovanni Grisostomo on the very site of the house of Marco Polo.
Today, this theatre has wider boxes and a lengthened gallery, which resembled its original structure. It brings in thousands of Italy’s theatre-goers every year andhas an audience capacity of approximately 900. The Malibran theatre hosted a variety of artists and musicians, and the most beautiful Italian operas including performances by Giuseppe Verdi, such as “La Traviata”, “Nabucco”, “Trovatore” and “Falstaf”, and as well as operas by Bellini and Wagner.
In 1835, Maria Garcia Malibran, the most famous singer of that time, was engaged for two evenings. Gallo, the owner of the theatre, named the theatre after her, in order to express his gratitude to the great singer, especially as she refused to be paid.
This theatre is one of the most famous opera houses in Venice, owing to its particularly prolific production of opera since its first performance in 1637. Previously, the opera was limited only to private and noble circles. However, today, it is accessible to anybody who can afford the ticket.