The Giorgio Franchetti alla Ca’ d’Oro Gallery brings to mind Byzantine architecture and is virtually Moorish in design. (Moorish architecture contains horse shoe-type arches as was common in 13th-Century Venetian-Spanish buildings.) The Ca’ d’Oro Gallery hosts Baron Giorgio Franchetti’s impressive art collection. Around 1916, the Baron bestowed the grand palace to the City of Venice for use as a public art museum.
The Galleria Giorgia Francehtti alla Ca d’Oro in English is the House of Gold. Prominent Venetian architect Giovanni Bon and his son Bartolomeo designed the palace for a wealthy Venice merchant, and it was completed in 1430. The Bons also designed the Pora della Carta and Doges Palace in Venice.
Bartolomeo Bon conceived the gallery’s luxurious courtyard complete with astonishing floor mosaics and Bon’s sculpted well curb. Prior to Baron Franchetti’s ownership of the palace, a Swedish and Italian prima ballerina named Marie Taglioni owned it and she, unfortunately, tore down the steps and neglected much of the splendor of the courtyard, if not the entire palace. Franchetti made great strides to refurbish the palace as well as the courtyard.
Located near the Academy and Ca’ Pesaro International Gallery of Modern Art along the south bank of the Grand Canal, G. Franchetti Ca d’Oro Gallery museum passes can be purchased along with Ca’ Pesaro tickets.
The House of Gold received its name due to the elaborate gold leaf, ultramarine (blue) and vermillion (vivid red) jewels/stones once adorning the outside of the building. The Ca d’Oro Gallery, or House of Gold, features art works by Venetian artists Tintoretto, Tiepolo, Titian, Giorgione, and Carpaccio. Get more information about the museum by visiting its official website here.
A plethora of paintings, wood furniture, Renaissance bronzes and sculptures adorn the gallery. Featured are fine Flemish Venetian tapestries (which are complex works of art created from interlinked colors and intricate surface textures). An updated area within the Ca d’ Oro displays many opulent Venetian ceramics as well. Read another version about Ca d’ Oro here.
Getting there: The Gallery G. Franchetti alla Ca 'd'Oro is located in the Cannaregio district. The Ca d’Oro can be reached on foot in 30 minutes via New Street, which runs parallel to the Grand Canal, connecting the railway station Saint Lucia Campo SS Apostoli, or by vaporetto . The entrance is on the street that connects New Road at the stop line navigation ACTV n ° 1 - Ca 'd'Oro.