San Giovanni in Bragora

Verified
Campiello del Piovan, 3790, 30122 Venezia VE, Italy

San Giovanni in Bragora is one of the more peaceful churches on the Venice map. It stands on Campo Bandiera e Moro in the Castello sestiere. This Roman Catholic church, located not far from Riva Degli Schiavoni, is a beautiful site. 

It is most famous as a place where the great Antonio Vivaldi and Pope Paul II were baptized. St. Magnus of Oderzo founded the church in the early 8th century. According to the legend, God ordered it to him in his dream.  

History & architecture

San Giovanni in Bragora has undergone a few major changes during its existence. The church was rebuilt in the 9th century to house St. John the Baptist relics. Then again in 1178, and again in 1475 by architect Sebastiano Mariani da Lugano. During the last renovation, the church got a late Gothic-style brick facade. In 1743, the team, run by architect Giorgio Massari, redecorated the church. 

Inside San Giovanni in Bragora

The church might not look too impressive from the inside. Yet, it’s what’s inside that attracts visitors from all over the world. San Giovanni in Bragora is also home to the entire body of St. John the Almsgiver and a piece of the True Cross. 

Those who appreciate exquisite art will find their place here. One of the most impressive pieces is The Baptism of Christ, a work by Giambattista Cima da Conegliano, surrounded by a marble frame by Sebastiano Mariani of Lugano. Another worthy artwork is The Saviour Blessing by Alvise Vivarini. 

On the main altar is a 1685 work of Girolamo Livioni, and next to it are two statues of the Saints by Heinrich Meyring. Here you’ll also notice paintings by Jacopo Marieschi and a work by Palma the Younger above the entrance.

Opening Hours

Monday - Saturday 10:30am–1:30pm & 2:30–5pm