The Teatro Goldoni is the oldest Venetian theatre still existing today. The inauguration of the Carlo Goldoni Theatre took place in 1622 but it underwent several extensions, modifications and was also rebuilt. Initially the theatre was named San Salvador and San Luca. The theatre is still located in the sestiere of San Marco and is easily accessible from all parts of the city.
In 1875 the Teatro Goldoni was renamed and dedicated to the famous Venetian playwright Carlo Goldoni. Goldoni's first appearance in the theatre was in 1873. Carlo Goldoni renewed the art of theatre and made Venice even greater. Goldoni's texts were often written in the Venetian language and dealt with various themes related to everyday life. Goldoni throughout his theatre production managed to create a universe that changed the European theatre scene in its values and themes.
The Carlo Goldoni Theatre was built at the behest of the Vendramin family. This structure witnessed the exceptional theatre season between 1600 and 1800. The theatre was rebuilt and inaugurated in 1979.
Teatro Goldoni theatre was the heart of a very productive period for the Venetian theatre world.
Today it is home to the Teatro Stabile del Veneto and offers many theatrical events.